Help Wanted - National Project Manager, Defining Moments Project
Monday 13th December 2010 10:39
Position: National Project Manager, Defining Moments Project Position Location: Toronto, Ontario Anticipated Start Date: January 17th, 2011 Length: 27-month Contract Details: 40 hours/week Salary: $32,000-37,000/year based on experience Applications due: January 7th, 2011
An international organization combining youth, technology and global community to create positive global change.
TakingITGlobal seeks a dynamic National Project Manager for Defining Moments: Discovering our Canadian Stories, a 3-year national arts, new media, and citizen engagement project. The Defining Moments Project aims to inspire, inform, and involve youth as engaged participants in Canadian society through youth-run capacity building workshops, an art contest, a traveling art exhibition, interactive website, networking, media creation, and other initiatives.
The project is implemented in partnership with the Canada Heritage Youth Take Charge program.
The opportunity is a full-time paid position with a 27-month contract extending from January 2011 – March 2013, based in the TakingITGlobal head office in downtown Toronto.
The goals of the Defining Moments program are:
- To facilitate 78 in-person workshops serving over 2000 attendees on the theme of the project
- To involve contributions 400 youth to our national art contest
- To expose over 10,000 youth to the project through the multimedia presentation produced with submissions from the art contest
- To reach over 7500 youth through the travelling art exhibition that will launch in Ottawa 2012
The core team will be comprised of a talented group of individuals based in the Toronto office combined with 26 Part-Time regional Workshop Facilitators across Canada. Approximately 156 part-time volunteer workshop mentors will be recruited to provide guidance and support to program participants. This core team ultimately shares responsibility for the implementation and delivery of the Defining Moments project. The National Project Manager, based in Toronto, will have overall responsibility for the effective and efficient management of the Defining Moments team and project deliverables.
National Project Manager Core Responsibilities
- Overall coordination of the project
- Ensure that the goals and objectives of the Defining Moments project are being met
- Preparation of interim and final project reports as well as ongoing reporting to Canadian Heritage
- Proactively contribute to project development and strategy as well as fundraising in order to raise the additional funds and resources necessary to successfully complete the project objectives
- Identifying and liaising with promotional partners; and other tasks assigned by the Executive Director
- Coordinating the development of the workshop program and materials, as well as an online version designed to reach Canadian youth residing outside of areas served by the youth facilitators
Human Resource Management
- Hire, train and supervise the Defining Moments Canada core team
- Overseeing the planning and execution of the Traveling Exhibit
- Utilizing ICTs as an engagement tool by regularly facilitating the online version of the workshop for interested youth and chairing team meetings held through video and/or teleconferencing technology
- Working with the project team to plan, populate and maintain the website
- Support and management of the project staff
- Represent TakingITGlobal at local and national events in Canada to promote the project
Related Skills and Experiences
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in social sciences, communications and/or cultural arts
- An understanding of youth and digital media arts sector in Canada
- Experience (or great interest in) liaising with youth organizations
- Ability to coordinate, work within, and manage teams (both in person and virtually)
- Experience with formal multi-project management better practice
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, work within set timeline
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Advanced presentation and facilitation skills
- Fluent writing and speaking capabilities in both English and French
- Self-motivated and highly organized
- Ability to travel extensively within Canada
- Salary will range from $32,000-37,000 depending on applicant experience
- TakingITGlobal offers an exciting, challenging, collaborative work environment!
- Please write “Defining Moments – National Project Manager” in email subject heading
- Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 7th, 2011
- Note: Interviews will conducted on a rolling basis
- Must be available to start as early as January 17th, 2011
- This position is open only to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
TakingITGlobal is an international organization - led by youth and empowered by technology. TakingITGlobal inspires, informs and involves young people around the world to create positive change in their local and global communities. Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, with a growing worldwide presence, the organization's flagship program is TakingITGlobal.org, the most popular online community for young people interested in connecting across cultures and making a difference, with hundreds of thousands of visitors each month.
TakingITGlobal also works with partners – from UN agencies, to major companies and youth organizations –to build the capacity of youth as leaders and stakeholders in their communities; to facilitate cross cultural dialogue and understanding; and to increase action and awareness among youth around global issues. We achieve this through supporting youth artistic expression through multi-media, working to create more engaging formal education, and involving young people in global decision-making.